Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

all content copyright protected
Baby-led Solids Twitter Button

Salmon Croquettes

Introduce baby to salmon fishUp to this point, Buttercup had only had simple one ingredient meals. I made salmon croquettes for dinner so I thought I'd try that out with her. They consisted of salmon, onions, bell peppers, bread crumbs, and egg. Ok, so they're really just salmon patties, but calling them "croquettes" makes me feel more sophisticated.
I cut one into thirds and gave it to Buttercup during our dinner. 

As far as I could tell she liked it. The multiple ingredients didn't seem to phase her. She smashed a fistful in her mouth like she'd been doing it all her life. Buttercup did get quite a lot of food in her mouth at one point. She had a bit of a coughing fit, but didn't end up spitting anything out. She kept working and eventually swallowed it all! I know that a lot of people have reservations about baby led solids because they are afraid of the choking thing, but honestly I've had more issues with food going down the wrong pipe than my baby has recently. Remember the FAQ's post: coughing and even gagging is a normal part of the learning process.

Sidenote: I'm starting to really wish we had a dog. A dog would come in really handy for cleaning up high chair fallout.

Check out this great article outlining the necessities of introducing fish to your baby early on. 

PROS: great nutrition (hello Omega-3s), easy to chew
CONS: Hubby said it made Buttercup's face smell like the lake

No comments:

Post a Comment