Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

all content copyright protected
Baby-led Solids Twitter Button

Washing Produce

So, I know I've talked about Fit Fruit & Vegetable Wash somewhat regularly. I have used the product to wash the outside of all Buttercup's produce. Buying organic would be my first choice, but as that's not in the budget for now I wash with Fit. With baby-led solids it's important to wash the outside of produce, since babies will be putting pieces of food (peels and all) into their mouths. A 2008 study showed a definite link between pesticide consumption in children and Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Tragically, retailers in my area have stopped carrying Fit or any type of produce wash. Apparently there is little demand for health products in my town. But, being the resourceful DIY-er I am, I decided to make my own. Here is the recipe I used:

  • 1c vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 c water
  • Mix the first three ingredients together in a large bowl (there will be significant foaming as a result of the chemical reaction among the components). Mix well. Add water. Put in a spray bottle.
There's a part of me that would prefer to be using a store-bought variety of produce wash, since this is my baby's health we're talking about. However, I do feel very self-satisfied whenever I make something myself and "stick it to the man."

Bottom line: clean your produce. Your child's brain will thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment