To prepare the mushroom, I pulled the stem off and peeled the cap, per my peculiar custom. I'm sure it would work fine to just give it an old-fashioned scrub. I handed Buttercup the peeled cap and first she tried to put the whole thing in her mouth, which was funny. But, as soon as she got a bite off she made a horrible "yuck" face. She persevered and kept sticking the mushroom back in her mouth, grimacing every time, and ended up with a whole huge mouthful of mushroom pieces at one point. I'm not sure if she actually swallowed any, but I don't think she was much impressed. I guess mushrooms do have a pretty intense flavor and plenty of grown adults don't like them. I really want Buttercup to like them, though. Maybe we'll try them cooked at a later date.
Did you know that mushrooms are the best food source of the vital micro mineral selenium?
PROS: easy to chew
CONS: strong taste