Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

all content copyright protected
Baby-led Solids Twitter Button

Cottage cheese


Cottage cheese is one of those foods I keep hearing suggested in the world of baby-led solids. It's touted as an ideal early food since it's super high in protein, easily digestible, and soft enough for the tooth-deficient. Before I got pregnant I loved cottage cheese, but after a few very unfortunate incidents in my first trimester I went off it. I decided it was time to give it another try, and let Buttercup have some, as well.

I just gave her about a quarter cup scoop for lunch. She wasn't overly thrilled about it, but did eat most of it, using the same 'scoop and suck' method she devised for refried beans. If I had it to do over again I would look for a low sodium variety (do they even make that?). 

Also, maybe I'm being paranoid, but I really think Buttercup might have some kind of weird intolerance to cow's milk. Even though the enzymes in cheeses have eaten up the lactose which is the culprit for many with proper dairy allergies, some people can still be intolerant to different components in cow's milk. I've been suspect of cheese since Buttercup's first experience which left her stinking like sour cheese all day. This time, she became insanely hyperactive after eating cottage cheese, which can be a symptom of a milk intolerance in small children. I tried it again a few days later with the same result. It made for very difficult afternoon nap times. Very suspicious, but luckily many children outgrow these kinds of things.

PROS: good source of digestible protein
CONS: high sodium, possible intolerance??

No comments:

Post a Comment