Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

all content copyright protected
Baby-led Solids Twitter Button

Orange

My preference is to always give my baby fresh produce that is in season. This gets trickier in the winter, and I definitely utilize frozen produce. I do love the month of December for the citrus, specifically clementines. Clementines are the ideal citrus fruit, in my opinion: they're easy to peel, have no seeds, are sweet, and a perfect bitable size. What's not to love? 


I offered a few segments to Buttercup after her lunch one day. I wasn't sure if she'd like them. Though she'd had little samples of orange in the past, usually as part of a cooked recipe, this was the first time she's really consumed a significant amount of it. She loved it. She used her new teeth to bite the segment in half. 


Buttercup liked the clementine so much that I kept giving it to her. I thought it was great that she was getting so much vitamin C. She even ate a whole clementine in one sitting a few times. Bad. Idea. I totally forgot about the whole citrus-makes-pee-acidic thing. Buttercup got a really bad diaper rash from the amount of citrus she was eating. Bad Mommy! We have learned the errors of our ways, and are now trying to find a good balance. 


PROS: high in vitamin C 
CONS: high in acid (diaper rashes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment