Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

all content copyright protected
Baby-led Solids Twitter Button

Apricot, take 2 (and craisins)

Another new food Buttercup sampled during Christmas was dried fruit. Snack time rolled around and we were still at Grandma's house, so Buttercup couldn't have her customary afternoon kefir/fruit smoothie. I foraged around and found some dried apricots and craisins that I thought she might like. I quartered the dried apricots to make them more manageable for her, then I put the apricots and craisins in a cup and gave them to her. Of course Buttercup immediately dumped them onto the floor, since she doesn't really understand the concept of eating out of a cup yet. I was happy to let her eat them off the floor, though.

I want to point out that babies on the move (both baby led solids-fed and puree-fed babies) tend to choke more frequently. That is because they find things on the floor while they're playing. A baby who is in a highchair is concentrating more on what's in her mouth than a baby crawling around on the floor. So, if you're going to give your baby food while she sits on the floor - like we did on Christmas - keep a good eye on her. 

I found dried apricots and craisins to be good alternatives to raisins, which Buttercup eats somewhat regularly. For more information on how we introduced raisins, check here and here. Also, get the Oceanspray dried fruit, because the Sunsweet ones have high fructose corn syrup. I know. I couldn't believe it either.

PROS: nutritious and high calorie, no preparation, portable
CONS: be careful if you are offering them to your baby while on the go



No comments:

Post a Comment