Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

Baby Led Solids: Research & Experiments

all content copyright protected
Baby-led Solids Twitter Button

Spreads


Baby eating spreads
Along with rice cakes, toast makes a good carrier for spreads. Other spreads worth trying are: smashed avocado, smashed banana, cream cheese, and thinly spread peanut butter. Interesting to note that the American Association of Pediatrics has changed their recommendations on delaying giving peanut butter to children under a year. That practice hasn't been shown to reduce peanut allergies in children so pediatricians have lifted the advice. The only thing to keep an eye out for with peanut butter is its consistency. If you put too much on, it can be too thick for your little one to safely manage without gagging and possibly choking.

By the way, we use Smucker's natural peanut butter. One ingredient = good. Although I think cream cheese is a good idea, we are waiting on that one because of the "cheese incident." Since discovering an easier way to serve bananas and avocados we haven't done as much of those as spreads, but I would recommend them to babies having issues with hand-mouth coordination.

PROS: a great way to boost nutritional value of grain foods and add variety
CONS: messy.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy I stumbled upon this blog! It is so nice to see someone doing the same thing I am doing with my little one. We are a few weeks behind you, my little one just turned 6 months on the 3rd, and we have really enjoyed the BLS way! I want to thank you for all the great ideas, photos and video ( I can show my mother that I am indeed not crazy and not the only one feeding a baby this way)I can't wait to see what else Buttercup eats on this adventure.
    Thank you again!!!!
    We have tried banana, avocado, peach, plum, zucchini, and homemade apple cinnamon biscuits.
    I can't wait to try hummus, it's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley!
    So glad you are enjoying the blog. I really hope that more people learn about BLS. It is so fun, and just makes so much sense. It sounds like your little one is doing really well. Keep it up! P.S. You're only crazy if I am. HA!

    ReplyDelete